Artists such as Walter Sittler, Iris Berben, Senta Berger, Christine Hörbiger and Uwe Ochsenknecht have all appeared on stage at Lindau’s Municipal Theatre, the largest theatre on Lake Constance. And this season is no exception: the programme organised by Lindau’s Cultural Office includes renowned national and international artists.
Theatre under monumental protection
Located in a former monastery church dating back to the 13th century, Lindau’s theatre stages some major productions. It was the first new theatre to be built in Germany after the Second World War, and is a prime example of 1950s architecture. It was opened on 19 May 1951 with a performance of Mozart’s Marriage of Figaro by the Bavarian State Opera.
Today the Municipal Theatre within the walls of the former Franciscan church is a protected building. The former church is still discernible in the outer facade, entrance lobby and concert hall above the entrance, but the auditorium no longer looks anything like a church. The auditorium has stalls and two circles, with a total of 688 seats. Its renovation in 1986 raised up the rear stalls and circles, so every seat now provides an excellent view of the stage. The building is accessible to all as the circles are serviced by a lift.
The stage of Lindau
Theatre companies from all over Germany, Austria and Switzerland perform at Lindau theatre. It also stages concerts and a range of national and international events, such as revues, chamber music concerts and cabaret.
For more information about the current programme and tickets, visit our online ticket shop or call in at Tourist Information on Alfred-Nobel-Platz 1.