The Lindau island is not easy for wheelchair users to master due to the cobblestone pavement. In order to help you plan and enjoy your holiday in the best possible way, you will find some important information here. We are happy to support you beyond that – just call our Tourist Information if you have further questions!
Accommodations for wheelchair users
Finding a barrier-free holiday accommodation is not always easy. Some accommodations in Lindau, however, are adapting more and more to people with a disabilty and offer barrier-free rooms and disabled-friendly facilities. In the following you will find hotels, holiday apartments/homes that fulfil the demands for guests in wheelchairs.
Find a suitable accommodation
Wheelchair accessible toilets and parking spaces
Public toilets with wheelchair accessible toilets can be found here:
- Island Station
- Am Brettermarkt
- Parking garage Inselhalle P4
You can find a map with parking spaces for wheelchair users on the island here.
Rent a wheelchair in Lindau
Here you can rent wheelchairs:
- Orthopedics Technology Vogel, Ludwig-Kick-Straße 6, 88131 Lindau, phone +49 8382 5706
- Ober Orthopedics Schuh und Technik, Friedrichshafener Straße 80a, 88131 Lindau, phone +49 8382 7501560
Cabs suitable for a wheelchair
- Bodensee cab Aktay, Rickenbacher Straße 21, 88131 Lindau, phone +49 8382 3550, mobil +49 151 11117839
- Cab Peter – patient transport, Courier service day and night, Säntisweg 28, 88079 Kressbronn, phone +49 7543 8841
- Steidle Stefan – cab and patient transport, Bahnhofstraße 9, 88239 Wangen im Allgäu, phone +49 7522 3744
- Cab Würtemberger GmbH, Ravensburger Straße 5, 88239 Wangen im Allgäu, phone +49 800 3327000 or +49 7522 3327
Addresses and sights in Lindau
- Art history museum Lindau: access for people with a disability to the building, accessible exhibition rooms, accessible toilet, price reduction depending on season
- Theatre Lindau: wheelchair-accessible entrance, wheelchair-accessible toilets, from 80% price reduction (with an additional B the accompanying person also gets a reduction)
- Marionette Opera: wheelchair accessible entrance, wheelchair accessible toilets, from 80% price reduction (with an additional B the accompanying person also gets a reduction)
- Spielbank Lindau: Parking spaces, barrier-free access to the building/upper floor/basement floor/foyer, wheelchair-accessible WC on the upper and lower floors, elevator
- Therme Lindau: wheelchair-accessible entrance, wheelchair-accessible toilets and changing rooms, elevators, no admission discount
- City library: level entrance at the back and elevator with a door one meter wide, wheelchair accessible toilet
- Lindenhofpark: most paths are also suitable for wheelchair users, wheelchair accessible toilet at the Lindenhof bath
- Former “Reichsstädtische Bibliothek”: wheelchair accessible entrance at Bismarckplatz under the stairs, no wheelchair accessible toilets, no admission discount
- Münster “Unserer Lieben Frau”: wheelchair accessible via a ramp at the side entrance
- Church St. Stephan: wheelchair accessible via a ramp at the side entrance
- Club Vaudeville: wheelchair accessible entrance, accessible toilet, arsenal, relatively low threshold into the building, then no further obstacles, no handicapped accessible toilet, entrance reduction depending on event
- Lindauer Dahlienschau: only recommended in dry weather with a wheelchair, no wheelchair accessible toilets, no admission discount
- museum “friedensräume”: museum not wheelchair accessible, no disabled toilets, no admission discount
- Peter’s Church: not wheelchair accessible
Attractions in the region
- Dornier Museum: wheelchair accessible entrance, elevator, wheelchair accessible WC, entrance reduction
- Pfänder: Entrances and exits as well as the cable car is barrier-free, paths on and along Pfänder paved, wheelchair-accessible toilets, accompanying person necessary, admission reduction from 70 %, wheelchair rental on site
- inatura Dornbirn: wheelchair accessible museum, wheelchair accessible toilets, entrance reduction, wheelchair rental on site
- Isle of Mainau: almost all paths are wheelchair accessible, wheelchair accessible toilets, no entrance reduction (with additional B, accompanying person is free), wheelchair rental on site
- Affenberg Salem: wheelchair accessible paths in the park, wheelchair-accessible toilets, accompanying person necessary, admission reduction
- Zeppelin Museum: barrier-free museum, wheelchair-accessible toilet (key at the cash desk), admission reduction
- Sea Life Konstanz: barrier-free, wheelchair-accessible WCs, no admission reduction
- Skywalk Allgäu: parking spaces for people with disabilities near the cash desk, barrier-free, wheelchair-accessible toilets, admission reduction
- Pfahlbauten Unteruhldingen: Disabled parking spaces next to the museum, tour of the museum wheelchair accessible, wheelchair accessible toilets (key at the museum cash desk), admission reduction
- Burg Meersburg: Wheelchair users can only visit parts of the museum, no handicapped accessible toilets, reduced admission
- New Meersburg Castle: elevator available, whether an accompanying person is necessary depends on the extent to which the person is restricted in their mobility, wheelchair accessible WC, admission reduction
- Car and Tractor Museum: Museum and restaurant are barrier-free, wheelchair-accessible toilets, no admission discount
Boat trips with a wheelchair
All ships of the United Shipping Companies for Lake Constance and Rhine can be used by wheelchair users. The transport of wheelchairs depends on the water level. In Lindau you can get on and off at any water level.
The DS “Hohentwiel” and the MS “Oesterreich” of Historische Schifffahrt Bodensee are not barrier-free.
The upper deck of the following ships can be used via an elevator: MS “Graf Zeppelin”, MS “Lindau”, MS “Überlingen”, MS “Munot”, MF “Euregia
Wheelchair accessible toilets are available on the following ships:
- Lake Constance Shipping Companies BSB: MS “Graf Zeppelin”, MS “Schwaben”, MS “Stuttgart”, MS “Königin Katharina”, MS “Karlsruhe”, MS “Lindau”, MS “München”, MS “Überlingen”, MF “Euregia”, MF “Friedrichshafen
- Vorarlberg Lines: MS “Austria”, MS “Vorarlberg”, MS “Stadt Bregenz”, MS “Alpenstadt Bludenz
- Swiss Lake Constance Navigation: MS “St. Gallen”, MS “Thurgau”, MF “Euregia
- Swiss Navigation Company Untersee and Rhine: MS “Munot”, MS “Schaffhausen”, MS “Thurgau”, MS “Arenenberg
- The MV “Uhldingen”, “Rhynegg”, “Rhyspitz” and “Alte Rhy” are not suitable for transporting wheelchairs and electric wheelchairs.
Ticket prices: In the international course traffic of the VSU the following persons are transported free of charge:
- Travellers residing in Switzerland upon presentation of their “Identity card for travellers with a disability”
- Travellers residing in Austria upon presentation of their “Behindertenpass Österreich” (pass for the disabled)
- Travellers residing in Germany upon presentation of their severely disabled pass (in which the need for constant accompaniment is proven by B/BN) One of the two persons must be in possession of a valid ticket.
- On the routes Constance – Überlingen, Constance – Lindau and Radolfzell – Reichenau, severely disabled persons with a token are transported free of charge.