What better way to refresh yourself on a hot summer’s day than by taking a dip in cool water? You can do this at numerous public bathing spots at Lake Constance as well as in one of the Lindau baths, many of which have lake access. But even when it’s colder outside, you don’t have to miss out on swimming and bathing fun in Lindau.
Water fun for all
Whether you want to swim sporty, just take a little bath or your children splash and romp around: The crystal clear water of Lake Constance offers ideal conditions for fun in and around the water.
While the water temperature in winter is between 4 and 8 degrees Celsius, the values rise above 10 degrees at the end of April and increase continuously until midsummer. In August the water temperatures reach an average of between 20 and 22 degrees. On hot summer days 26 degrees were also measured.
Swimming in Lindau
The great thing about the Lake Constance region is that you can find the right “paddling pool” for all age groups and all needs. While some would like to continue their bike tour or hike after a short jump into the refreshingly cool water, others are looking forward to a long, non-obligatory day under the sunshade. For all sun worshippers and water fans we have put together the best bathing possibilities.
- Lindenhofbad: Outdoor pool with access to the lake on the Schachener Ufer west of the island of Lindau, large sunbathing lawn with old trees, catering, canoe and SUP board rental, especially suitable for families and groups, free admission
- Outdoor pool Oberreitnau: large outdoor pool with heated swimming pool, as well as baby pool, children’s playground,
gastronomic supply, soccer-/beachvolleyball court, especially suitable for families, groups and sportive ambitious people -the ideal swimming pool for families!
- Park beach bath of the hotel Bad Schachen: architecturally unusual bath in the art nouveau style with lake access as well as heated pool, generous terrace, historical bath house, gastronomic supply, particularly suitable for people seeking peace and quiet, friends of good style and nostalgics
- Aeschacher Bad: classicistic lake dwelling in the lake, on the Lotzbeckweg west of the Lindau island, especially suitable for people seeking peace and quiet and nostalgic people, depending on the available places
- Therme Lindau: thermal & vitality bath, sports & family bath, sauna and beach bath Eichwald – there is something for everyone
- Natural bath Eichwald: Natural bath with lake access in the district Zech, 500 meters long natural beach at present only partly usable because of construction works for the new thermal bath in Lindau
Bathing spots in Lindau
If you only want to cool off in the water for a short time and can do without the comfort and safety of a well-equipped outdoor pool, you will find some freely accessible shore areas on both the mainland and on Lindau Island.
On the island
- Oskar-Groll-Anlage, near casino: small meadow & staircase access
- Schützingerweg: small staircase access
- Gerberschanze: small stone beach & stairway access
On the mainland
- Lindenhofpark, Bad Schachen: Meadow & staircase access (very highly frequented in summer)
- Toskanapark in the Bregenzer Straße, near the island: small meadow & stairs
- Giebelbach, near the railroad embankment: stair access
- Uferpark Wäsen: wide stone beach
The area of the rear island (old barracks/Luitpoldpark/Pulverturm) is closed due to construction work for the national flower show and access is not permitted.
Please observe and respect the valid distance and hygiene rules everywhere.
New thermal bath Lindau
From June 27th 2021 you can swim, relax and enjoy one of the most beautiful sections of the Lake Constance shore all year round: The Therme Lindau will be an attraction for sporty active people as well as those seeking peace and quiet. On the scenic oak grove directly on the lake shore, an ultra-modern bathing complex for all age groups is currently being built.
Six indoor and six outdoor saunas will form the largest and most diverse sauna area at Lake Constance in the future. After the sauna and cooling down, loungers, a corner with a fireplace and a relaxation lounge with waterbeds await you in the two-storey rest house. Large panoramic windows allow wide views of Lake Constance and the Alps.
The spa and vitality bath area includes several indoor and outdoor pools with many water attractions and temperatures ranging from 33° C to 38° C. The water in the vitality bath contains salts and trace elements, the different water qualities have health-promoting effects.
The sand-filled beach is especially attractive for families with children. A 50-meter outdoor swimming pool and a 25-meter sports pool, an outdoor and an indoor slide and a toddler pool complete the offer of a top quality sports and family pool.
Bathing with dog
Particularly on hot days also quadrupeds need a short cooling down from time to time. Your dog is generally allowed to swim and romp around at Lake Constance – but only on public stretches of the lake. Here the rule of mutual consideration applies, because there is no designated dog bathing beach or lake access in Lindau. Dogs are not allowed in seaside resorts such as the Lindenhofbad.
Please show consideration for other guests and, in the interest of all, refrain from letting your dog loose in the water at highly frequented spots. This applies especially to areas such as the Lindenhofbad or the Gerberschanze on the island.